Friday, January 14, 2011

4 months and counting---confession time

Weight: 230.2 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 44.4 pounds

Today marks the 4 month anniversary of my beginning the Somae Plan. When I started at nearly 275 pounds in September, I was tired all of the time, unable to focus, easily distracted, and binge eating almost every night after my wife and kids went to bed. Today, I'm more productive at work and home, have a ton of energy and, as I type this, I'm ripping music to listen to while jogging in the coming week.

I've made some veiled references to an embarrassing medical condition I've developed over the past 2 months or so. When I moved from the HIGH fiber low calorie Phase 2 meal plan to the more substantial Phase 3 meal plan, I started to develop pretty bad constipation. I also developed a bad habit of "straining" during bowel movements, which ended up causing a literal "pain in the butt" that I thought to be hemorrhoids. I treated them as such with over the counter remedies, but nothing really helped and the pain only increased.

About 3 weeks ago, I was diagnosed with a fissure. Gross, I know, but nonetheless real. A fissure is a tear in one or more of the muscles that control the opening and closing of the sphincter. When healthy, the muscles loosen and constrict with bowel movements. When a fissure is present, the muscles tend to NOT loosen up and then OVERTIGHTEN, causing additional pain and tearing. SO, what to do....?

I'm now using a prescription ointment of nitroglycerin, yes the same thing used in explosives (insert joke here) and for heart patients. The purpose of the nitroglycerin, applied at the area of injury, is to dilate the blood vessels which promotes healing. It's working so far with less pain for the past several days.

I've also added fiber supplemets into my daily regimen which have made a WORLD of difference. More on this new discovery in a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment