Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Sharing My Lessons

Since beginning my Somae journey in September 2010, I have shared my story not only with my adult friends and family but with many others through this blog. Just today I was able to return emails to folks across the country who have either already joined Somae or who are in the process of considering it. I have also been inspired to make sure that my own children and the many children I work with at a local public elementary school don't fall into the same pattern that I did later in life.

In the past 6 months I have successfully worked on grants to bring 2 salad bars into the 400 student school, ensuring that every child has access to fresh greens and vegetables everyday. Additionally we have received a grant to provide a fresh fruit or vegetable snack to every child each day in addition to a balanced breakfast and lunch. In partnership with a local food pantry, we provide 50 "power packs" each Friday for students to take home nutrient-dense foods for the weekend, a time in which healthy food options are unlikely to be available. Those children staying after school now receive a nourishing hot dinner.

All of this in a school with more than 85% student poverty and where it is estimated that at least 50% of our students' families do most of their home food shopping at a corner convenience store.

We have also instituted several school-wide initiatives to increase physical activity. Most notably, a partnership with the NFL and American Dairy Council entitled "Fuel Up to Play 60" which emphasizes the importance of both a healthy, well-balanced diet AND at least 60 minutes of exercise daily.

My Somae journey has indeed been a life-changing experience for me, and is far from over. If my story were to be selected in the Somae Challenge, a portion of the $10,000 prize would be reinvested to help continue the work already underway at the school where I work everyday.

2 comments: