Saturday, November 6, 2010

Phase 2, Day 38: Purging the Snack Food and Temptation

Weight: 238.4 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 36.2 pounds

I spent a good part of the morning today ridding the house of some of the most tempting snack foods. I'm a carb junkie, and have been since I was a kid--in fact, I can remember stories of my sitting and eating half a loaf of bread or half-a-dozen Little Debbie oatmeal pies at a sitting.

Sweets have never been a weakness of mine at home--just ask my wife. She's a tremendous baker, but when she makes a cake, pie or even breads, I almost never touch them. Just ask my oldest son. We still had a tremendous amount of Easter candy (not to mention Halloween 2009 candy) in a basket when we brought home candy from last weekend's trick-or-treat (yes, we threw out the old stuff, finally).

My weakness are the true "snacky" foods like chips, crackers, Goldfish crackers, pretzels. What did I buy for my son's birthday party last weekend? Chips. Crackers. Pretzels. We haven't had a lot of these things in the house since I started the Somae Plan in September, but all of a sudden, they were readily available...and I knew it. So, out they go. In an early morning grocery run this morning, I picked up some more apples including some smaller ones for the boys to snack on with me today since we're bachelors for a few hours while Mommy is out shopping. Together with the grapes, carrots and other healthy snacks in the house, we should all be better for it.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you. A friend of mine just got rid of all processed foods in her place. I haven't gotten that far, but other than Mike's ice cream (which I successfully avoid at least half of the time) there's not much of my "triggers" in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents are Southern and we grew up on rice, and for breakfast, grits. I can tell you now that I love rice and grits ans the very thought of it is making my mouth water however, I am diabetic and rice is not my friend. So, guess what, I don't buy rice or grits. I don't buy bread, potatoe chips, ice cream, or snack foods. Why? Because it's in my house I'm going to eat it. Every single drop with a smile on my face and if I die, it would be with a snack in my mouth, grease on my lips and a smile on my face. I joke you not so, I don't buy it. If a friend gives me something I cannot eat within days I give it to someone else. I currently live and work in Kuwait. They have foods here that will make you roll over on your back and gain weight just by looking at it and I kid you not. The other day I brought a small jar of honey and walnuts.The walnuts are soaked in the honey. Well, I am on the hcg diet and yesterday I had a weak moment. I opened the jar with the intention to eat 2 and ate 8 of them. It was the first time I had eatten this and I will tell you it is a good thing I was able to stop. Guess what... I will not keep this in my house. It's not hcg friendly and until i am finished with this protocol this is not on the menu. It is healthy and great tasting but I can see me eatting the entire jar next time. So, what is the point? Keep it out of your house if you don't want it in your mouth. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely. When you're facing such a restricted diet (whether it's Phase 2 on hCG or a diabetic diet) you can't have those temptations anywhere near you...no one is that strong. I am very familiar with Middle Eastern foods and the temptations they carry...yet, somehow, weight among the average Middle Eastern resident does not seem to be a problem. It's all about moderation (as long as the food is something that you should be eating in the first place).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Believe it or not, here in Kuwait the big problem is diabetes. I do agree with you alot of the Kuwaits here are small. I don't know how they do it. The different kinds of breads, the rice, YUM. You should see the soups they make and most of the soups are made with some kind of cream. However, they have GREAT seafood. The fish here has a wonderful taste. Its great shopping here, one just has to be careful while on the HCG and a restricted diet.

    ReplyDelete