Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Phase 2, Day 49: Last Day of Phase 2

Weight: 232.4 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 42.2 pounds

Today is my last day of Phase 2. Typically, Phase 2 last for 45 days but I was lagging a little behind in the weight loss and I had a few extra doses of hCG so, in consultation with my Somae Mentor Lisa, I extended my time by 4 days.

As you can see, my weight bounced back up again but is now moving downward again. Lisa and I chatted yesterday about what can cause such fluctuations. How's this for a checklist:

-not getting enough sleep (check)
-letting stress get to me (check)
-eating after 7pm (check)

Stress, sleep deprivation and eating late in the evening can all trigger the release of a "stress hormone" known as cortisol. From medicinenet.com, "Cortisol has been termed the "stress hormone" because excess cortisol is secreted during times of physical or psychological stress, and the normal pattern of cortisol secretion (with levels highest in the early morning and lowest at night) can be altered. This disruption of cortisol secretion may not only promote weight gain, but it can also affect where you put on the weight."

So, what are the answers? Last night I slept for almost nine hours (not including interruptions from our 4 year old climbing in bed with us and jabbing me in the back with his knees). I took some exercise before work this morning by helping a local business owner clean out part of his basement for things he was donating to the school. And, I had nothing to eat after diner last night other than a glass of water.

I'm feeling great today. It's also my LAST day on the Very Low Calorie Diet (VLCD), so tomorrow I begin working my way up to the whole foods diet that I will continue for the next 25 days (and beyond). I'm looking forward to a little more diversity in my diet, but am a little anxious about Thanksgiving being only a week away.

I am intending to devote an entire post to my reflections on hCG and the injections I had to take for the last 7 weeks or so. Keep an eye out....

No comments:

Post a Comment