Friday, November 19, 2010

Phase 3, Day 2: Stabilization

Weight: 230.8 pounds (.8 pounds until I meet my goal)
Total Weight Lost: 43.8 pounds

Phase 3 of the Somae Plan is called "Stabilization", meaning the period where my body adjusts to its new lower weight, my hypothalamus resets and my metabolism ramps back up to burn the food I eat rather than storing the energy as fat.

The first major difference between Phase 2 and Phase 3 is that I am now able to eat a much more diverse diet including a wide array of fruits and vegetables that were off limits in Phase 2 due to their higher caloric content or lower nutritional density. I'm excited that I can now start having a fruit smoothie in the morning using soy or coconut milk, some whey protein and frozen berries, although the "weight" of the smoothie was a bit of a shock to my stomach this morning. I'm also able to start adding in nuts and seeds and higher quantities of other fruits and vegetables throughout the day. I'm adding these back in gradually so that my body has a chance to adjust and my metabolism starts speeding up slowly.

The second major difference is that I can start exercising. During Phase 2 I was encouraged to walk at least 30 minutes each day--which I did on most days--but now I can start adding in some weight training and other more physical exercises to keep my metabolism running on all cylinders. Yesterday, after starting to feel a little tired in the afternoon, I managed to walk and jog on the treadmill for about 20 minutes. I can't remember the last time I jogged! I was a little weak afterward, but it felt good to know that I could do it. I'll do it again today, though I think I need to invest in some better shoes if I'm going to make it a regular habit.

On the sleep front, last night was my third straight night of at least 7 hours of relatively uninterrupted sleep. That has made a huge difference in my general mood in the morning and throughout the day. Now, if I can only get my 4 year old to stay out of my bed in the night, it would be even better.

2 comments:

  1. Be careful. It's my understanding that in Phase 3 of this protocol for 3 weeks you can only eat proteins and fats. No starch and no sugar. It's easy to gain the weight back. Do some research before you start to eat certain foods. Enjoy!!! I still have about 2 more weeks to go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are still some restrictions on Phase 3 (including starches and sugars), but the variety of fruits and vegetables is greatly increased as are the availability of healthy fats from nuts and seeds which were not allowed under Phase 2 while on the hCG.

    ReplyDelete