Monday, September 20, 2010

Ch-ch-ch-Chia!

Today, I ate for the first time (as a part of my salad) chia seeds. Yes, you know, those little seeds that you soak in water until they turn into a gelatinous goo and then smear on the clay sheep, head of Abraham Lincoln or odd looking clown. Turns out that chia seeds are one of those "wonder foods" full of antioxidants, fiber (42% of daily value) and vitamins that we could all use in our diets. They can also help the body conserve water and slow down the conversion of carbohydrates into sugar. See the nutrition label at the right for more details.

Many Native American tribes in the American Southwest and throught Central and South America used these tiny seeds as a staple of their diet, especially when moving great distances because they were easy to transport, had a ton of nutrition (3 times the protein of spinach) , and when consumed dry with a little water can swell to nearly 9 times their size, giving the feeling of a full stomach.

I sprinkled a few pinches of them (maybe a tsp worth) on my salad at lunch. They started to absorb some of the water from the lettuce right away, and then also from the dressing. I had a nearly 4-hour gap between my snack and lunch, but right now I feel full, but not uncomfortably so.

3 comments:

  1. Nice!!!!!!!!! is this what they use in Chia pet? Keep it up!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, RowdyRaider. I work at Somae and have been following your blog. What an inspiration you are. Just wanted to say thanks, and keep up the awesome job you're doing changing your life. Everyone who works at Somae strives to live by the healthy principles we teach, and nothing gives me better motivation to stay on track than to hear about others who are changing their lives with our program. Congratulations on your phenomenal success so far! -McKenna

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Alaadin, yes they are one in the same.

    @McKenna, thank you. Lisa (my Somae mentor) is great and I am learning so much about the food I'm putting into my body...everything from chia seeds to the fast food I used to eat.

    ReplyDelete