Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Phase 1, Day 2: My Kindgom for Some Salt

Weight: 267.4 lbs.
Weight lost so far: 2.2 lbs

I made it through my first day yesterday with only a few hunger pains while waiting for my wife and kids to get home for dinner. Today, however, was my first specific craving: salt. In fact, if I could have found a salt block I probably would have licked it.

The Somae plan is not a low-sodium diet, per se, but with raw or unprocessed foods, there isn't any added salt, so I don't really get as much as I would ordinarily. The foods I have chosen for my meal plans so far have a LOT of natural flavor--raspberries and blueberries are my new best friends. The chicken breasts we prepared in a steam cooker with some garlic and onion, which infused them with a lot of flavor, too. I have purchased some sea salt which I will use sparingly when absolutely needed, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with some other spices this weekend when I will have a little bit of time.

I also knew that I was going to be running some errands for work at lunchtime, so I didn't prepare a lunch salad today. I got stuck in downtown and was starving, so I texted a good friend for some suggestions of restaurants or delis that were "vegetarian friendly". She sent me a few, but looking at my watch, I knew that I had to get back to school so I stopped at McAlister's Deli in Kenwood to pick up a salad. OMG! Some of their salads had calorie counts higher than an order of chicken nuggets and fries from McDonald's. I asked to see a nutritional chart (which they provided, although they didn't have a copy I could take with me) and found a salad which had the biggest bang nutritionally speaking. It was odd asking for no dressing and no croutons, but ultimately reqarding that I had made a decision--on the spot--to choose the healthier option.

My colleagues are slowly learning about my healthy living plan (ok, I'm still trying to find a word or phrase other than "diet"), and their support is fabulous.

This is probably my last post today so that I can spend some quality time at home this evening. Later!

1 comment:

  1. Sodium is not always our friend--we all eat way too much and it makes our blood pressure shoot up...but did you know that potassium TASTES like salt?? If you go to the store and pick up "salt substitute," you are actually buying potassium chloride. It's much better for you, is a fine powder so a little goes a long way, and you can satisfy that salt craving without holding water from it! Crystal

    ReplyDelete