Sunday, September 19, 2010

Phase 1, Day 6: Grocery Shopping

Weight: 262.4 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 12.2 pounds

I'm feeling GREAT! I spent Saturday and part of this morning doing grocery shopping for some of the staples including restocking my fruits and veggies. Sam's Club is great for some of the things like organic spring greens (one container lasted me almost a whole week), raspberries and blueberries, and even frozen fruits for smoothies and vegetables for tossing on a salad or sautéing in a little EVOO. We already have a large bag of frozen skinless chicken breasts, so most of my lean protein is taken care of. We've decided to do some fresh fish for dinner one night this week, but I'll be picking that up at Whole Foods Market that afternoon, and some beef kabobs on the grill one other night. I also picked up some yellow squash and zucchini this morning which I'm REALLY looking forward to later this week.

What I've found is that buying largely fresh fruits and vegetables is not as expensive as I had thought. I've been the primary grocery shopper in our house since my wife was pregnant with our first child 4 years ago. I've always bought grapes, bananas and apples and occasionally some vegetables, but we've largely lived with canned fruits and vegetables and a lot of processed foods.

However, when comparing the cost for my meals alone during the last week with my typical week of fast food, soft drinks, and yes, even cigarettes....I have saved more than $50, and who knows how many thousands of calories, grams of fat, and other chemicals and preservatives. That blows my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment