Thursday, September 23, 2010

Phase 1, Day 10: My Inspirations

Weight: 256.6 pounds
Total Weight Lost: 18.0 pounds

This morning I had a great conversation with my family physician. He's the one responsible for introducing me to the Somae Plan about 4 months ago and being persistent in his trying to convince me that this was the right course of action for me. Honestly, and I've said this before, I had doubts. I did research on other Very Low Calorie Diets (VLCDs), and wasn't convinced that this was right for me. Always the skeptic, I found reasons to distrust the claims of 50, 60 and 70 pounds of weight loss in 12 weeks. Then, my doctor went on the Some Plan himself and I witnessed first-hand that such dramatic weight loss was possible.

I also stumbled upon a young woman who was posting a video log of her progress on the Somae Plan. Karess Purcell (like the soap with a 'K') has done a short video nearly every day of her journey, putting a very real face on the Somae Plan and the struggles she has faced. You can find her videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/kpurcell00.

By far, however, my greatest inspirations have been my family. My wife and two young boys are everything to me, and the thought of not being around to see them grow up or to grow old with my wife (maybe we'll even be able to take an adult vacation sometime soon) was too much to bear. While I hadn't yet developed heart disease, high blood pressure or diabetes...I was well on my way. These are the things that inspired me to start the Somae Plan and are keeping me motivated to continue losing weight and becoming healthier.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean. That's why I am somewhat disappointed in myself I haven't lost more weight since Ben was born (too much ice cream during this hot, hot summer). I am determined not to put weight back on once he's weaned and, indeed, to lose more. My mom died at 49. I was 28, but I do not want Ben to lose his mom at 11.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy. Amazingly, I've been on this whole foods diet now for about two weeks and the weight has plummeted off and I feel great. Even in a modified form, it should be possible to have moderate weight loss by even moderate changes to diet. I'm sure that you and Paul eat pretty healthy anyway, and we do at home most of the time, but passing up a bowl of ice cream for a handful of fresh blueberries or raspberries or making a fruit smoothie with some yogurt has become just as rewarding for me. I had some raspberries yesterday that seemed almost too sweet for me because I'm not getting all of the added sugar in my diet. Real food tastes good. You're a great mom and Ben is going to get to enjoy (and torment) you for a long time.

    ReplyDelete